Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Interview with Lin Treadgold

Lin Treadgold was born in Yorkshire and took extensive driver training to run her own instructor training school. After travelling the world and visiting over thirty countries, she retired in 2001 to follow her husband’s work and live in the Netherlands. Do tell us what made you want to write and how you got your first break? 

I have always wanted to write but felt too tied to my job and bringing up the children to think about it. For 25 years I was self employed as a trainer of driving instructors. I got my first break when my husband took a company transfer to the Netherlands in 2001. There was no option but to give up my profession and go with him. This was my best chance to write if I wanted to become a published author. In 2012 I got my opportunity with Safkhet Publishing.

Writers are always asked where they find their ideas. What inspired you to write this book?

The wheels of life always inspire me. Each day brings something new and every conversation is useful. I listen to passing dialogue, I watch how people interact with each other, and in my own way, I turn real life situations into scenes for a book. I suppose I am a people watcher.

Which author has most influenced your work?

Without a doubt it was Mary Wesley and her book The Chamomile Lawn. I never thought I could become a writer until I read her work. She was one of Britain’s most successful novelists at the age of 70. She sold three million copies of her books, ten were bestsellers, and she managed to all do this in the last 20 years of her life. My age being 50 at the time – I was inspired. I also made friends with author Annie Murray (The Chocolate Girls and The Bells of Bournville Green.) Annie helped me to understand more about writing.

Can you work anywhere or do you have a favourite place to hideaway and write?

I would love to spend a month alone just writing, away from home. In the real world I have an office and now that my husband has made a flower garden outside the window, I have a view.

How would you describe your books? Under what genre or sub-genre do they come? 

I think my book Goodbye, Henrietta Street, tends to slide toward a romantic saga; it was written for tourists on holiday; a spot of romance to read on the beach.

Since the book is set on Scilly, I suspect sense of place important to you in your writing. How do you set about the research?

Place is very important to me. I have travelled the world to over 30 countries. I was lucky with Goodbye, Henrietta Street, I have visited the Isles of Scilly about fifteen times since 1969. I felt it was the ideal place for a romance novel and the local people seem delighted I am making a small contribution toward their economy. We hope through the story people will want to pay a visit. My life experiences help with research as well as the usual sources on the internet.

I know you were a member of the New Writer Scheme. How would you say it kick-started your career?

Without the NWS I wouldn’t have reached this far, that’s for sure. Each time I submitted my work, I received a very professional report, direct, honest, and helpful. As with every critique it is subjective viewpoint. Although I have to admit, upon reflection, they were right most of the time.

Which piece of music is most likely to make you feel happy? 

I’m a 60’s and 70’s music lover. I think memories of happier times are recalled in music. There are too many excellent pieces in my music book to be a strong favourite, but if I was to pick out one of many I think a song which still sends a good feeling inside me is ‘Lady in Red’ by Chris de Burgh.

So can we hope for a follow-up book?

My next novel is in progress. I have a working title of The Wiccan of Dalewood. It’s a cult saga, based on the south coast of England near Lyme Regis. I also have a novella in progress too, entitled Locked Together – a romance story with an unusual twist. My personal motto is ‘Wish it—Dream it—Do it’.


Pippa Lambton’s life has fallen apart and husband Rob is ready to give up their marriage. Three years before, their son Daniel passed away; he was the glue that held them together. Now, Pippa’s left home for the beautiful Isles of Scilly, for a chance to rediscover herself. She meets handsome Norwegian nature warden, Sven Jorgensen, who teaches her about the island wildlife. Pippa finds herself laughing again. She is aware of Rob’s dilemma over his childhood adoption and their turbulent relationship, but after an awkward kiss with Sven, she is torn about how to proceed. There is much to resolve, and leaving Rob could prove a disaster. Is her affair with Sven a holiday fling? How can she walk away from Rob after losing Daniel? Should she leave her home in Yorkshire for Sven and his island paradise?

Thank you Lin for sparing time to talk to us today. We wish you every success with your books. 
Best wishes, Freda 

Find out more: 
Safkhet Publishing
Website: http://www.itslinhere.wordpress.com 
Amazon 

Interviews on the RNA Blog are carried out by Freda, Henri and Livvie. They are for RNA members, although we do occasionally take guests. If you are interested in an interview, please contact: freda@fredalightfoot.co.uk
 

No comments: